Personal profile: Michael Verhaart
Michael Verhaart (virtualMV)
|Employer:||Eastern Institute of Technology|
> For Research Activity use “Pages > About” menu on the right
My research interests centre on the application of digital technology to teaching and learning. Teaching areas are in Internet and Web, Multimedia and Digital Learning Technologies.
In 2008 I completed my PhD thesis on “The virtualMe: A knowledge acquisition framework” where the research looked at integrating student knowledge into course content using a variety of internet based technologies. The research has been presented at many National and International Conferences, and has been included in three book chapters.
This year (2012) a paper on “Curating digital content in teaching and learning using wiki technology” was presented at the International Conference on Advanced learning Technologies in Rome, Italy, and was an invited speaker in July presenting “Technology in 21st Century Education : Academic learning and teaching” in Dhaka, Bangladesh.
I am currently exploring the use of technology to deliver classes, where on-campus students are taught in a face-to-face classroom and other students may be geographically separated, such as at home or at work.
A second area of interest is in the area of Open Education Resources, where teaching content is made available using a Creative Commons licence as opposed to having copyright restrictions. Primarily this is based on wiki technology – the same technology used by Wikipedia – where content can be updated by any user with the changes/additions tracked by the system.
I am also Executive Editor for the New Zealand Journal of Applied Computing and Information Technology (JACIT), and is a reviewer for many National and International Journals and Conferences.
- Web alias: virtualMV ( http://www.virtualmv.com )
- Teaching areas Multimedia, Database, Web site development
- Interests Family, Walking,
- Member Institute of IT Professionals, NZ (IITP) formerly (until 2012) New Zealand Computer Society (NZCS)
- 2009- :Information Technology Certified Professional (ITCP) – http://www.itcp.co.nz/
- 2010 – : Member of Distance Education Association of New Zealand (DEANZ)
- 2009 -: Member of IEEE Computer Society
- 2006-2009: IEEE Virtual Instructors Pilot Research Group (VIPRG) researcher – Learning Technology Sub-Committee, IEEE Computer Society Technical Committee on Learning Technology.
- Member of Association of Computing Machinery (ACM)
- Activities Association for Computing Machinery New Zealand
- 2006-2011: Vice-chair
- 2005-2007: Column editor : ACM NZ Bulletin. ISSN 1176-9998 (http://www.acm.org/chapters/acm_nz/)
- Activities Association for Computing Machinery New Zealand
- Activities for National Advisory Committee on Computing Qualifications (NACCQ)
- 2009-2010: Executive Editor: Bulletin of Applied Computing and Information Technology (BACIT), http://www.naccq.ac.nz/bacit
- 2009: Co-Editor: Proceedings of the 22nd Annual Conference of the National Advisory Committee on Computing Qualifications Conference, Napier, New Zealand, July 10-13.
- 2010: Co-Editor: Mann, S. & Verhaart, M. (Eds.) (2010) Proceedings of the 1st Annual Conference of the Computing and Information Technology Research and Education of New Zealand Conference (Incorporating the 23rd National Advisory Committee on Computing Qualifications Conference), Dunedin, New Zealand, July 6-9.
- 2003-08: Web Editor: Bulletin of Applied Computing and Information Technology – BACIT ( http://www.naccq.ac.nz/bacit )
- 2004-2010: Member of Research and Support Working Group. http://www.naccq.ac.nz
- 2004-08: Polytechnic/Institute of Technology Degree paper moderator
- Activities for Computing and Information Technology Research and Education, New Zealand (CITRENZ)
Note this is the group formed with the restructuring of NACCQ in 2010.
- 2011: Co-Editor: Mann, S. & Verhaart, M. (Eds.) (2011) Proceedings of the 2nd Annual Conference of the Computing and Information Technology Research and Education of New Zealand Conference (Incorporating the 24th National Advisory Committee on Computing Qualifications Conference), Rotorua, New Zealand, July 5-8.
- 2010-: Executive Editor: Journal of Applied Computing and Information Technology (JACIT), http://www.citrenz.ac.nz/jacit
- 2011-: CITRENZ Research and Professional Development Focus Group
- 2012: Co-editor: M. Lopez & M. Verhaart (Eds.) (2012) Proceedings of the 3rd Annual Conference of the Computing and Information Technology Research and Education of New Zealand Conference (Incorporating the 25th National Advisory Committee on Computing Qualifications Conference), Christchurch, New Zealand. October 7 – 10
- Eastern Institute of Technology
- 2000 – : Academic Staff Appraiser
- 2006 – 2007: Member of Innovation in Teaching and Learning Forum
- 2007 – : Member of Strategic Research Committee
- Member of EIT Website advisory group
- Specialised Databases (Results [2001-06] Graduation [2005-], Wine inventory)
- Massey University
- 2008: Mentor: Jonnavithula, L. (n.d.) Improving the interfaces of online discussion forums to enhance learning support . Thesis for Master of Information Science in Information Systems, Massey University.
- 200?-2007: Researcher for Advanced Learning Technologies Research Centre (ALTRC), Massey University ( http://is-alt.massey.ac.nz/ )
- 2005-2006: Member project team of Agent based intelligent help environment for New Zealand student community. An eCDF (e-Learning Collaborative Development Fund) project, value $500k-$1million: Partners Massey University, Waikato University, EIT, AUT and University of Auckland along with Online Learning Systems Ltd of Palmerston North. The project involves design, implementation and evaluation of a web-based system in which students from New Zealand tertiary institutions can engage in a student-centred community of learning to share study and subject-related problems, join study groups and receive expert advice.
- Open Polytechnic
- 2010 – : Member Information Systems and Technology Discipline Advisory Committee
- NZ Polytechnic Programmes Committee (NZPPC)
- 1996: Accreditation Panel member for Bay of Plenty Polytechnic, Tauranga for Field of Computing & Information Technology (Levels 1-7)
- 1997-97: NZQA Moderator for unit standards
- 1993 (approx): Panel member for NZQA accreditation for Wairiki Polytechnic, Rotorua
- 2009: PhD in Information Systems, Massey University, New Zealand
- 1978: BSc (Mathematics) Victoria University, New Zealand
- 1979: BSc (Hons) Information Science, Victoria University, Wellington, New Zealand
- 1979: Teachers College Diploma, Christchurch Teachers College – Secondary Division
- 1981: Diploma in Teaching, NZ Department of Education
- 1994: Diploma in Tertiary Teaching – Stage One
(3 stage 2 papers completed 1995-96) Central Institute of Technology
- 1993-1996: Hawke’s Bay Polytechnic; 1997-present: Eastern Institute of Technology
- 1993-03: Senior Academic Staff Member
- 2003-2011 (Oct): Principal Academic Staff Member
- 2011 (Nov) – present: Associate Professor
- 1985-1988: Bay of Plenty Community College; 1989-93: Bay of Plenty Polytechnic
- 1985-87: Tutor/Manager
- 1988-89: MIS Manager/ MIS Technical Manager
- 1990-93: Senior Tutor
- 1984-85: Powercorp Centres: Consultant
- 1982-84: Bay Computer Services: Software Manager
- 1980-81: Hamilton Education Board (Otumoetai College, Tauranga): Teacher
- 1978-79: Victoria University: Session and research assistant
- 2012: EIT’s CEO Teaching Excellence Award
- 2011: Associate Professor
- 2010, Dec : (Inaugural) EIT Teaching & Learning Educational Technology Award.
- 2010 Sustainability@EIT award for paperless teaching!
- 2009, June: EIT PBRF research scholarship, Semester 1, 2010
- 2009, May: PhD in Massey University , Supervisor: Professor Kinshuk (Athabasca University, Canada), Topic: The virtualMe: A knowledge acquisition framework,
- 2007, July: Best staff poster, 20th Annual Conference of the National Advisory Committee on Computing Qualifications, Nelson (with Young & Bridgeman)
- 2005 EIT Hawke’s Bay UBIX Quality Award (2005) for Student Results System database.
- 2005, Dec: (Inaugural) EIT Chief Executive’s Research Excellence Award.
- 2005, July: Best Full Paper Award, 18th Annual Conference of the National Advisory Committee on Computing Qualifications Conference, Tauranga (with Hagen & Giles)
- 2002 : UBIX Quality Award, EIT Hawke’s Bay for Student Results System database.
- 2000, July : Best Paper presentation Award, 13th Annual Conference of NACCQ, Wellington (voted for by delegates)
- 1997 : Microsoft – APNZ Technology in Education Staff Award (with S. Corich)
- 2010, March: Online Research Seminar on e-Learning ( http://ccc.k12.edu.tw/ ). Led by Prof. Kinshuk (Canada), Prof. Nian-Shing Chen (Taiwan) and Prof. Tommaso Leo (Italy).
- 2010, July: eL4C41, a Learning4Content workshop. Achieved Certified WikiEducator WikiBuddy status.
- 2010, Oct: TANZ Technology for Learning Series: Online Facilitation ( http://networksupport.tanz.ac.nz/course/view.php?id=128 )
- 2011, 21 – 25 March: Open Content Licensing for Educators